A pistol, or handgun, is a
firearm designed to be fired while being held in one hand. While such firearms are small and compact, they can be the hardest to learn.
The Basic Pistol course can
be as short as ten hours. In it students will get the NRA's The Basics of Pistol Shootinghandbook and intensive lessons in safety,
gun handling, the various types of pistols, the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship, various pistol firing positions, several practical exercises on the firing range, cleaning, storage, and a summary
of pistol sports and activities.
“To teach the basic
knowledge, skills, and attitude for owning and using a pistol safely.”
—NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course Lesson Plans
- Pistol Knowledge and Safe Gun Handling
- Ammunition Knowledge and Fundamentals of Pistol
- Firing the First Shots (includes cleaning and
- Two-handed and One-handed Standing Shooting
- Pistol Sports and Activities
The are no prerequisites for
taking this course, and the material is accessible to appropriately supervised mature children.